Saturday, October 6, 2007

October 6, 2007

Another update...fyi...I get updates every Friday with how things are going. Most likely, that is when I will update this website. At this point, I am waiting for the DNA testing of both Dawson and her mother. If they are a match, we move to family court! Now for the good and bad news of the week...bad news first! Guatemala has passed a new law known as the Ortega Law. This law is going to go in effect Jan. 1, 2008. It will stop all adoptions in Guatemala until the adopting countries become compliant. The U.S. plans on becoming compliant late spring. Requirements for their adoptions are going to become much more difficult and wait times will increase. What does this mean for me??? The good news, I hope, is that we are waiting for some amendments to be read. The one I am looking for is to be "grandfathered" in. The word around is that this is going to be proposed soon! Please read the info below to get a better understanding of what's going on. Ultimately, I don't think any one knows what's really going to happen!


Ortega, Amendments, & Campaigns
Latest and Greatest:
1.)
JCICS is reporting that the Hague permanent bureau is supporting allowing in-process to continue. This is excellent news for in-process families!2.) The Guatemalan papers are reporting about amendments being offered to the bill and that the executive branch is not happy that the bill will undergo so many changes. The UNE party seems to be the one most supporting significant changes, or at least they are the ones saying that the bill in its current form has many issues. 3.) It does not appear as though the amendments will be voted on before the Nov 4th election. We are hearing it will be on Nov 14th. All parties in Guatemala seem to be agreeing that they must not allow the adoption law to become a campaign issue

No comments: