Saturday, February 26, 2011

Clay Creation

Dawson and Grace had their first art lesson today. We tried to get into the art museum classes but, were closed out. Lucky us, we found a closer place that is going to be just perfect for the girls. The class has one teacher for the two of them! It's a small studio that offers classes 7 days a week by various artists with different talents. As our class was going on, there were two other boys drawing castles in a perspectives class. I really like the way the teachers bring a lot of art history to the lessons in general conversation.

Here is a part of the studio. The girls were sitting at the closest table.

What I liked most about today is that the girls were a part of the "whole" process. The project today involved clay. The teacher showed the girls the large block of clay. They touched it and then moved it to the machine above that would flatten it. It took both of them to turn the wheel and flatten that clay!!!


Next, we used textured rollers and stamps. The choices were endless on what they could use.

Here is her clay work in two pieces.

Dawson was very focused and interested in her creation. I did not touch her art at all...I want to make sure that what she creates is entirely her work!
It's a little hard to see but, she used a walnut and a fork to make the edges rough. She also was able to pick some cooking cutters to make some 3D shapes to paint. Here is the in progress piece of art.....
The teacher is going to put an antique glaze on it and fire it in the kiln for us to see next week. When finished, she will tie a ribbon on the top we can hang it up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our first art class was really wonderful. The studio was cozy and welcoming and Miss Nancy was a patient, knowledgeable teacher. I was so impressed with how well Dawson and Grace listened and did their best to recreate the clay creation. I am sure Tommy is going to love it and how sweet that Dawson thought of him first as the proud recipient of her artwork. I know you won't want to give it up, though, Kellie. Maybe he can just borrow it for a while!