
Today is a very important holiday in Guatemala. On September 15, 1821, Guatemala gained its independence from Spain. Independence Day is a national holiday and the celebrations are extensive. In the days preceding Independence Day, schools and buses are decorated with patriotic motifs in celebration. In Antigua, bands, consisting of drums and xylophones, march around the Central Park. Traditionally the army of Guatemala celebrates with a protocol act and air acrobatics, usually for the audience of the President. As the day comes to a close children and adults can be seen waving small plastic Guatemalan flags in the streets and the stores are decked out in Blue and White decorations. Parades are everywhere!
I am trying to keep some Guatemalan traditions in Dawson's life so we decided to do a few on this day. We made a Guatemalan snack, took a few pictures and souvenirs to daycare, and got out our Flag. I also printed out a picture of the Guatemalan flag for her day care friends and her to color. Lynn shared this Guatemalan Chocolate Eclair recipe with me. It consisted of graham crackers, vanilla pudding, cool whip and strawberries. It was a hit with Dawson and a few others at daycare!

3 comments:
Your eclair turned out great! Grace is bringing hers to daycare tomorrow - it just worked better for my schedule - but since it is Hispanic Heritage Month from Sept. 15-Oct. 15th, I think we are okay! (my post is written already, though! I am just hoping for one good photo of Grace in her Guat dress tomorrow!)
Oh, what a great idea!! It is El Salvador's too. I had written it down in my work cal, and had thought of it today, but didn't even think to do anything for Mayna at daycare! Bad mommy on my part! I think it is SOOO cool that you did that and took the flag in to color. Awesome!!
wow supermom....i made Spaghetti and meatballs..lol
Post a Comment