Last night we went to our first ever circus with my niece and our friends Lynn, Grace and Kyle. This was not your usual circus, it was what I would consider an "Old Fashioned Circus". The Circus came to a nearby town in honor of their 200th year. This circus began in 1938. The show travels on a fleet of 25 vehicles and requires an area of some 90,000 square feet to set up on. The circus big top, imported from Italy, has a seating capacity of 1500 and is made of waterproof vinyl. I was so impressed that such a small circus could perform such an amazing show! The circus workers were NONSTOP the entire show. We saw jugglers, hula hoopers, clowns, tigers, dogs, elephants, horses, balancing acts, and the flying trapeze. I can't think of anything that we missed! It was an amazing experience and the perfect event for a two year old!
The circus had two shows yesterday and was so popular, they added a third show. They are off to Kelly's Island for a few shows on Sunday!
The big tent was put up first thing in the morning. Anyone could go and watch the set up if interested. We didn't go but, Lynn did if you want to check out some of her early morning pictures go to www.howdoyoumeasureayear.blogspot.com
Dawson was reading the program trying to find out what a circus might be all about!

Enjoying some popcorn!
Like every entertainment event, they were selling everything possible. And...Tommy was buying anything the girls wanted!
The tigers were beautiful but, my least favorite part. They seemed so sad, slow moving and unhappy doing the show. I don't like they way they are treated in these traveling shows. Don't get me wrong, I did choose to attend the circus because it was a wonderful experience. (I love animals in natural environments much better than cages!)
The trapeze stunts were amazing. These circus people have more talents than they are ever given credit for!

Breea (my niece) wanted to take an elephant ride. Her thoughts about her ride is that he was "very hairy and made her wobble back and forth."
These were Asian elephants that were over 9 feet tall and weighed over 4000 pounds! WOW!


5 comments:
Your photos are great and really captured what this circus was all about. We had fun with you all - as always! Thanks for suggesting it and for getting the tickets...Oh, and it is great that Brea got to be up front on the elephant!
How cool!! Looks like a blast! I agree..it is hard to see them in that kind of environmnet. Similar to a zoo.
I am sorry you felt the tigers moved slow and looked sad. I was letting them go at their own pace because it was rather warm yesterday. As far as the natural environment comment, this is the natural environment for these tigers. They were not snatched from the wild and forced into submission. They were raised in captivity much like a domestic dog or house cat. I still walk the youngest one several times a day on a leash just like you would a dog. As she gets older and lazier, she won't desire as much exercise, or be as curios to see new things, but at this point she is like a pet dog and learns new behaviors everyday. Again,,,I am sorry you felt that way.
OMG WHAT FUN!!! i should have took abby seriously!
Great picture! Your blog and family is adorable!
Post a Comment